PLATS must be submitted for recording NO LATER THAN 3:30 p.m. due to the time needed to complete the process. Plats submitted after 3:30 p.m. will be recorded on the next business day.
The Recorder’s Office provides NO LEGAL ADVICE. Any legal questions regarding real estate records, liens, real estate transfers, etc., should be directed to an attorney.
The Recorder’s Office provides NO DOCUMENT SEARCH SERVICES. Our records are open to the Public, so you may come in and search for yourself. Otherwise, please contact a title search company.
If any of the following items are missing from a document at the time of Recording (when applicable) , a document may not be recorded. Please call our office at (815) 941-3224 with questions or for specific requirements for document types not listed below.
Prepared By Name & Mailing Address Required[55 ILCS 5/3-5022]
Document Return Name & Mailing Address[Required for Recorder’s Office to Return Document to Owner]
Document Standardization Compliance*
(*Non compliant documents may be recorded, but at an additional charge.) [Public Act 87-1121, ILCS 55 5/3-5018]
All Items Above
Complete Legal Description
Grantee Name & Address[55 ILCS 5/3-5026 & 765 ILCS 5/1]
Tax Bill To Name & Mailing Address[55 ILCS 5/3-5020 & 765 ILCS 5/35c]
Property Address (Commonly Known As)[55 ILCS 5/3-5027]
Real Estate Transfer Tax Declaration or Exemption Properly Completed[35 ILCS 305/3 & 35 ILCS 305/4 & 35 ILCS 305/7]
Deed Must Be Original, Not Copy[55 ILCS 3-5010 & Mack vs. McIntosh, 181 ILL633 (1899) “Copy of contract is not entitled to be recorded, but original alone is…”]
Recordation by Surveyor
Plat must be recorded by the surveyor, or by an individual designated in writing by the surveyor to record in his/her stead.
Permanent Index Number(s)
The North Point of the Property
- Owner’s current address included
- Signature & Seal
- FEMA Flood Hazard Information
- Amount of acreage
- Statement of Whether or Not in a Municipality or Within 1.5 Miles of Municipality
Public Utility Easements
- Natural gas
- Cable television
Access to State Roadways & Public Waterways
Requires Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) signature.
Access to County Roadways
Requires Grundy County Highway Commissioner’s signature.
Signatures Within 90 Days
County signatures must not be more than 90 days old at the time of recording.
- Signature of owner
- Indicating High School & Elementary School Districts for each lot, block, tract, or parcel in the subdivision lines.
Required Signatures (County Subdivision)*
- County Engineer
- County Clerk w/seal
- County Treasurer
- Subdivision Engineer
- County Planning Commission Chairman & Plat Officer
- County Health Department
- County Board Chairman
- Township Road Commissioner
Required Signatures (Municipal Subdivision)*
- County Clerk w/seal
- Municipal Planning Commission Chairman
- Mayor/President & Clerk
- IDOT (if applicable)
- Township Road Commissioner (if applicable)
- Municipal Engineer
- Note: Unincorporated areas within 1.5 miles of a municipality require ALL SIGNATURES in the above two lists combined.
Physical Requirements for Submission
- Must be on Mylar, Linen, or Velum and prepared in black ink.
- No larger than 24″ x 36″
- Ten (10) 24″ x 36″ paper copies of the original plat OR
- An additional fee of $3.00 per page to make copies in house.