Grundy County

Official Website of Grundy County Government Offices

Environmental & Resource Conservation Office

The Environmental & Resource Conservation Office receives a number of inquiries each year. Here are a few of the most common inquiries.

Can I recycle a television, computer or electronic item?

Electronic waste events occur several times a year in many areas of the County for the convenience of the residents.  For more information, please check the ERCO webpage events listing.  Also please call Karen Campbell at 815-941-3214 or Heidi Miller at 815-941-3229.

How can I dispose of landscape wastes?

One of the easiest ways to rid your self of landscape wastes is to reduce what you generate:

  • Use the mulching feature on your mower or tractor.
  • Compost when possible. The Environmental & Resource Conservation Office has high quality composters available for $50.00 ea. Please call (815) 941-3214 or (815) 941-3365 for further information.

If you must get rid of yard wastes, check with your hauler as most have a program for the proper disposal of these wastes. In addition, landscaping and tree services will generally haul away wastes generated from their work.

How do I dispose of paint or other materials collectively known as Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)?

To dispose of latex paint, simply let it air dry or mix some absorbent material into it. When dry, set it out for your regular refuse service. You may need to leave the lid off the can to demonstrate to hauler personnel that it is indeed a dry material and not a full, liquid can of paint.

To dispose of oil-based paints or other unwanted household chemicals, check with the IEPA at for a current list of the one-day household hazardous waste collection events in your area.

You may also check with the Naperville HHW site located 156 Fort Hill Drive in Naperville (located just north of Public Works at Fort Hill Drive & Jefferson Avenue. The facility is open on Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. excluding holidays. For more information, call 630-420-6095. For a list of items accepted at this site, lease see page fourteen of the Grundy County Green Guide.

Is the Waste Management Department the waste hauler?

No, the Environmental & Resource Conservation Office is a County office and is not connected or affiliated with the private waste hauler — Waste Management. To reach the hauler, Waste Management, please call 800.796.9696.

What are the disposal/collection options for polystyrene (Styrofoam)?

A number of haulers in the County who provide regular residential pickup of materials may take such bulk block polystyrene packaging as well as foam “peanuts”. There are also shipping firms that will accept clean foam peanuts and reuse them in their shipping operations.

Where can I take corrugated cardboard for recycling?

Most of the time haulers who are contracted for residential recycling programs will accept corrugated cardboard. Please check with your hauler for program specifics.

The Abitibi- Consolidated paper collection bins located at many of the postal facilities and throughout the County DO NOT accept corrugated cardboard in their containers. Please do not place any of this material in their containers as it does not get recycled.

Where can I take my construction & demolition debris for disposal?

According to the Construction Materials Recycling Association, construction and demolition debris (C&D) make up between 25-45% of the waste stream in North America today. Usually such wastes are generated through the private sector by demolition, construction and remodeling contractors. Some of this stream is also generated by dedicated homeowners through remodeling projects in their own home.

A number of items can possibly be reused. Whenever possible, residents should donate or try to reuse any materials that are salvageable. Additionally, the Environtech Landfill located at 1800 Ashley Road in Morris may be able to accept your debris for you for a fee. You can contact them at (815) 941-1800.

Who can I call to pick up white goods?

Due to the hazards of Freon, PCBs and the like, many haulers will not accept such items such as stoves, refrigerators, freezers, etc. If they do, they will generally tack on an additional charge for such a service, while others will provide this service once a year. Please check with your specific hauler for information.

A resident may also wish to contact a metal scrap dealer that may take such items for a fee as well. The scrap dealer may require you to transport the item to them and for you to pay a charge for this service.