County of Grundy–Job Posting
Date of Posting: December 10, 2015
Applications Accepted Until: Posted until filled Job Title: GIS Technician
Employee Status: Part-Time, 13-19 hours/wk, Non-Exempt
Pay range: $18.00 – $22.00
The GIS Technician is responsible for cadastral/parcel map creation and/or maintenance. Maps are constructed or maintained using data sources such as subdivision as well as other plats, surveys, surveyor notes, deeds, aerial photography interpretation and other client sources, instructions, and/or databases. All data sources are used to create an accurate cadastral GIS.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Complete projects using ESRI’s ArcGIS products. These projects include:
- GIS data creation
- GIS data conversion
- Map production and cartography
- Completion of project and tasks in a timely manner
- Prepare production projects for delivery
- Conduct QA/QC procedures to ensure accuracy
- Assist other departments if required. Training may be required
- Process documentation and mapping parcel creation of divisions of land and/or combinations of land including but not limited to the following documentation:
- Division by Request
- Court Order of Judgments
- All other Client requests
- Research resources such as survey maps and legal descriptions in order to verify property lines and to obtain information needed to ensure an accurate cadastral and GIS database(s) as provided and as necessary
- Utilize aerial photography to ensure proper parcel and/or polygons layout through aerial occupation or legal description reference points updating boundaries, water locations and topographic features as necessary
- Redraw and correct parcel and/or polygon layouts to reflect provided, current and most accurate documentation as necessary
- Compile accurate abbreviated tax legal descriptions as necessary
- Compile map change forms as necessary
- Utilize scales, line types, sizes and colors for hard copies of computerized maps using printers and/or plotters as necessary
- Identify, research and resolve anomalies in legal land descriptions, referring issues to manager/supervisor and/or client as appropriate and as necessary
- Compiling cadastral and GIS data utilizing “Mapping Standards and Practices”
- Prepare hard copy and/or digital data deliveries
- All other duties as assigned or required
- Must have considerable proficiency using ESRI software including ArcMap editing toolsto create or update cadastral layers and maps showing property boundaries, political subdivisions, and taxing districts.
- Ability to plot maps from legal descriptions, deeds, survey data, tract descriptions and existing maps utilizing a relational database management system.
- Read and interpret complex or detailed data, policies, or legal descriptions related to title searches and the preparation of cadastral maps.
- Make mathematical computations to calculate bearings, distances, areas and closures.
- Requires the ability to compile and create analytical reporting.
- Valid driver’s license.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Geographic Information Systems or closely related field, plus 2 years related experience as detailed in the Essential Duties and Responsibilities and Qualifications sections is preferred.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent degree from a two year college or technical school, plus 4 years of experience as detailed in the Essential Duties and Responsibilities and Qualifications sections, or any combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge and
- Experience with communicating effectively both orally and in writing, with all levels of staff, vendors, and constituents.
- Must be well organized, accurate, and attentive to details.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, talk, hear, see, and use fingers, hands, and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or carry up to 10 pounds and 33 pounds occasionally.
Any qualified applicant with a disability and requiring reasonable assistance or accommodation to the application and/or interview process should notify the HR Department.
TO APPLY: Candidates must meet the minimum requirements of the position in order to be considered.
Send resume and salary requirements to HR@grundyco.org with “GIS Technician” in the subject line or mail to Grundy County Administration, Attn: HR 1320 Union Street, Morris, IL 60450
No phone calls please.
Grundy County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will give consideration to all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, political affiliations, sexual orientation, or any other non-merit factor. Qualified candidates that require reasonable accommodation should contact the Human Resources Department.