Grundy County

Official Website of Grundy County Government Offices


Can I receive compensation for physical injuries suffered?

If you sustain physical injuries and the injuries are from certain violent crimes, then you can file with the Illinois Attorney General’s Office under the Victim Compensation Act. Victim’s Compensation can reimburse you for medical expenses and loss of earnings. It only covers expenses NOT covered by your insurance company. It DOES NOT apply to property damage.

Can the State's Attorney help me collect child support?

Pursuant to the Non-Support Punishment Act, 750 ILCS 16/1 et seq., the Grundy County State’s Attorney’s Office may initiate claims for payment of court ordered child support when the payor is a minimum of three months or more behind in child support payments.

How does a criminal charge get filed?

The police department will bring the reports of arrested suspects to the State’s Attorney’s Office to file a complaint. After reviewing the report, if the State’s Attorney’s Office feels there is enough evidence to prosecute the case, a complaint will be signed.

If the State’s Attorney’s Office feels there is insufficient evidence in the case, a complaint will not be issued.

What do I do if a defense attorney contacts me?

The defense attorney has the right in a criminal case to interview all witnesses. However, you don’t have to talk to him or her alone. If you would feel more comfortable have the Assistant State’s Attorney who is assigned to your case present at the interview, arrange to have him or her there. You should not sign anything without first talking to the prosecutor who is assigned to your case.

What do I do if I am a victim of a crime?

Immediately report the crime to your local police or the Sheriff’s Department.

The police will ask you questions regarding the incident and will then prepare a police report.

The sooner you make the report the better the chances are that law enforcement officials can collect the evidence necessary to prosecute the crime.

What do I do if I become a victim of Identity Theft?

Most of the time, you can’t prevent an ID Theft incident from occurring, because two-thirds of the time, some company that leaked the data is to blame. So be prepared, and be organized. Save paper bank records for at least a year. You’ll need them to prove your account balances in the event of an ID Theft incident.

For more information, visit:

What do I tell the police?

Tell the police exactly what happened:

  • date, time, place
  • description of the offender(s)
  • names and addresses of any witnesses (if possible)
  • items that may have been taken, property that was damaged, and injuries that you may have received.

BE TRUTHFUL IN PROVIDING INFORMATION. You could be prosecuted for deliberately giving false information to the police.

What is a Felony

A felony is a more serious criminal offense that upon conviction carries a possible sentence of imprisonment with the Illinois Department of Corrections.

Initially, a date is set to determine whether or not there exists probable cause to believe the defendant committed the offense. The State either presents evidence of probable cause to a grand jury made up of sixteen citizens, or to the judge in a preliminary hearing.

If there is a finding of probable cause, the case is set for arraignment, at which time the defendant is formally charged with a criminal offense and is called upon to plead guilty or not guilty.

If the defendant pleads Not Guilty, a trial date is set. Felony cases do not always go to trial and may be resolved by a plea of guilty before trial.

What is a Misdemeanor

A misdemeanor is a criminal offense that carries a maximum sentence of county jail time and fines upon conviction.

In a misdemeanor case, the defendant will plead guilty or not guilty during the first court appearance.

If there is a Not Guilty plea entered, a date is set for a status hearing. Many cases are resolved prior to trial.

If a resolution does not occur prior to trial, the case is set for trial and witnesses and victims are notified to appear if testimony is needed.

What is the difference between a criminal case and a civil case?

There is a difference in the law between civil and criminal cases.

The main differences are that imprisonment is not a remedy in a civil case and the burden of proof is greater in a criminal case.

In a civil case, the plaintiff need only prove his/her case by a preponderance of the evidence. Such a case can be filed even though the police and the State’s Attorney feel there is insufficient evidence to prove a criminal case beyond a reasonable doubt.

Examples of cases which cannot be charged by the State’s Attorney include those situations in which someone owes you money and has refused to pay you back. To most people, this behavior is theft and the person ought to be charged with a crime. However, the law requires that the State prove that the person had the criminal intent to deprive at the time the person took possession of the money.

In most cases, this element is missing. Without evidence of criminal intent, the State’s Attorney would be unable to prove a criminal case beyond a reasonable doubt. In such a case, a small claims case can be filed in order to resolve the matter.

What is the Identity Theft, how do I protect myself from it, and what do I do if I am a victim?

Identity theft is the fastest growing crime in the nation today. You may be a victim of identity theft and not even know it.

What should I do if I am threatened?

Anyone who seeks to threaten or bribe you into dropping charges is obstructing justice and may be committing additional crimes. Immediately report any threat or bribe to the police and to the Assistant State’s Attorney who is assigned to the case.

What will happen when I appear in court?

The defendant is entitled to be in the courtroom during the trial and will normally be represented by an attorney. The case may be continued for a number of reasons; one of the parties may be sick or out of town. The defendant could ask for more time to find a lawyer or prepare his or her case if she or he is representing themselves. Sometimes, there are a great number of cases and they can’t all be heard at the same time. You will be given as much notice as possible either by phone or by mail.

When will I be notified to appear as a witness?

The Victim/Witness Coordinator is the State’s Attorney’s Office will provide written notification of the status of the case. Due to the volume of the cases handled by the individual prosecutors, most contact between the State’s Attorney’s Office and the victim(s) is conducted by the Victim/Witness Coordinator.