Vital Records

Birth, Death and Marriage Records:

Some birth records are available beginning with the year 1877. Some death records are available beginning with the year 1878. Some marriage licenses begin with the year 1841. Requests for copies of birth and death records should include the following information:

Certified Birth Records:

  • Name at birth
  • Date of birth
  • Father’s name
  • Mother’s maiden name
  • Place of birth (city and state)

Certified Death Records:

  • Name of deceased
  • Place death occurred
  • Date of death

Certified Marriage Records:

  • Name of bride
  • Name of groom
  • Date of marriage
  • Place of marriage

The Grundy County Clerk’s Office will issue certified copies of Vital Record to authorized individuals only.  To do otherwise is a violation of Illinois Law.  Vital Records are not considered public information, nor are they subject to the Freedom of Information Act.  No information regarding Vital Records will be given over the telephone under Illinois State Law (410 ILCS 535-Vital Records Act).



Type of Certificate First Copy Each Additional Copy**
Marriage $21.00 $7.00
Birth $24.00 $7.00
Death $20.00 $11.00

Illinois law provides that copies of birth records may only be obtained by the individual if 18 years of age, by the parents, or other legal representative. Death records may be obtained by any person having a personal or property right interest in the record or by his duly authorized agent.

Requests in writing for certified copies of vital records must be accompanied with a money order and a photocopy of your valid driver’s license or state ID. Mail to:

Kay Olson
Grundy County Clerk & Recorder
Room 12
111 E. Washington St.
Morris, IL 60450

Marriage/Civil Union License Information:

  • Both parties must be 18 years of age in order to obtain a license.
  • Persons who are 16 or 17 years of age may obtain a license only with consent of both parents.
  • You must show valid driver’s license, State ID or valid Passport.
  • Any documents presented in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
  • If divorced, certified copy (raised seal) if event occurred within the last year. Photocopy if event occurred over one year ago.
  • If previous marriage/civil union has been dissolved by the death of a spouse, a certified (raised seal) death certificate is required if event occurred within the last year.
    Photocopy if event occurred over one year ago.

The cost of a marriage/civil union license in Grundy County is $46.00, payable in cash. Both parties must be present when applying for the license.

A marriage/civil union license becomes effective one day from the date issued and is valid for 60 days from the date it becomes effective.

A marriage/civil union license is valid only in the county in which it is issued.

If you are being married or having a civil union performed by the judge in the courthouse, please call (815) 941-3256 for more information.

Translate »